Champ's Clock Shop
Heartbeat of Champ's Clock Shop
Circa 1980 Jerry Champion ran across a unique English turret clock works while traveling in Connecticut. He returned home thinking he would really rather have an American made Clock. While reading a clock publication, he ran across the company that made the clock he had just seen. He was impressed with the company profile and immediately contacted the English importer in Connecticut and purchased the clock. (Mr Leslie White of Mill House Antiques -1068 Main St N, Woodbury, CT 06798) millhouseantiquesandgardens.com
The Clock was restored installed in our specially built clock tower, completed circa 1982. The exterior was designed to resemble Henry Ford's Scotch Settlement one room schoolhouse which was moved to Greenfield Village. The interior is a rustic loft and built to support the clock and bell.
A story about our clock was published in Clock & Watch Review magazine January 1983.
June of 1997 The Master of The Worshipful Company of Clockmakers
(British Horological Institute, President) Visited our shop to
document the John Moore Clock.
In 2015 we started researching our clocks past after receiving a book of John Moore's annual production and sales records, Compiled by: Chris McKay of the Antiquarian Horological Society's Turret Clock Group https://www.ahsoc.org/groups/turret-clock-group/. The book listed only one clock that matched our clocks description manufactured in 1865. It was listed as: "The Chase, Winchmore Hill. 2' 6" dial for H. Wigan Esq"
The Chase (Wade's Hill Rd.) runs
between Winchmore Hill Village to the East Gate of Wigan's Home
Estate at Green Dragon Ln. The Estate was known as Eversley. A Grand
Italian style mansion with vast gardens, Farmery, Stables, and entry
gate Lodges spread across 40 Acres. Henry Wigan died September 18
1885 and his estate went up for auction May 31st 1888.
It is not known where on the estate the clock tower was located, but normally in the stables. The Eversley stables and farmery were located near 151 Green Dragon Ln. The Main Italian style mansion was centered near the east end of Maplin Close. The East Gate Lodge was 131 Green Dragon Ln. The Kitchen Garden Walls still stand and surround homes at the end of Eversley Mount and directly behind Oak Lodge at 50 Eversley park rd.
The HEARTBEAT OF WINCHMORE HILL LONDON now resides along the Chattahoochee River in south Douglas County Georgia USA at Champ's Clock Shop
We are always searching for the
missing pieces of the puzzle of our clocks history.
Thank You Steve King of the UK for sharing the scans below & sharing knowledge of the estate.
of the interactive , continuously
and evolving version of Champ's Clock Shop.
The Store, The Museum, The Tourist Attraction.
Like US On Facebook
CHAMPS | VIEW
SHOP | CLOCK
All Rights Reserved Champ's Clock Shop,Inc.
is conveniently located 20 minutes from
Airport, & the Galleria
© 2012 - Champ's Clock Shop, Inc. | Douglasville, GA | 770-942-2128 | E-Mail ******